The resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will be a priority issue at the upcoming meeting of Azerbaijani and French presidents, Azerbaijani Presidential
Administration Social and Political Department Head Ali Hasanov said, commenting on the current visit of Azerbaijani President to France, Trend reports.
Hasanov noted that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains a priority during all the visits and meetings of Azerbaijani President with other countries' presidents.
"France is a co-chair country of the OSCE Minsk Group, and during the meeting with this country's president, the Nagorno-Karabakh problem, as well as situation and prospects of conflict regulation, processes happening around the conflict, Azerbaijan's position and OSCE Minsk group's activity and future steps will be discussed," Hasanov said.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict broke out on February 28 1988 in the Azerbaijani Sumgait with massacre of Armenians as a peculiar response of Azerbaijanis to the peaceful demand of the Nagorno-Karabakh autonomous Region, part of the Azerbaijani SSR, to unite with the Armenian SSR. This resulted in other pogroms of Armenians in Baku, Kirovabad and other regions of Azerbaijan populated with Armenians. In 1991 Azerbaijan unleashed war against peaceful populations of Nagorno-Karabakh, expulsing ethnic Armenians from the territory of Azerbaijan. Dozens of thousands of peaceful residents on both parties were killed in the military actions, and hundreds of thousands were left homeless and have become refugees. In 1994 in Bishkek in
mediation of the OSCE MG, the NKR, Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a Protocol on Ceasefire that is observed more or less so far. Since 1992 the OSCE Minsk Group represented by co-chairs from Russia, U.S. and France has been mediating in resolution of the conflict unleashed by Azerbaijan in 1988. At present the peace process is based on the Madrid Principles suggested by the OSCE MG in 2007 in Madrid and renovated in 2009.