It is not yet clear whether Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will visit Yerevan next year to mark the 100th anniversary of the Armenian genocide in the Ottoman Empire, Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian said on Monday.
Nalbandian handed Erdogan a corresponding invitation from President Serzh Sarkisian when he attended the presidential inauguration in Ankara last week. The two men briefly chatted during the ceremony.
"There is still quite a bit of time [before April 2015," Nalbandian told RFE/RL's Armenian service (Azatutyun.am). "It is hard to tell what the decision [by Erdogan] will be and when it will be taken. It's up to the Turks to decide," he said.
Nalbandian argued that Erdogan's predecessor, Abdullah Gul, took four months to respond to Sarkisian's 2008 invitation to visit Yerevan and watch a game between Armenia's and Turkey's national football teams.